Research Fellow at the Università degli Studi Genova (Italy), Department of Modern Languages and Cultures. Research project: ‘English construction grammar: Between description and cognition.’ Study director: Professor Cristiano Broccias.
- Broccias, Cristiano, and Torre, Enrico. 2020 (expected). On the diachrony of the English dative and benefactive alternations: Distinct patterns of attraction between variants. In C. Fedriani and M. Napoli (eds.), The Diachrony of Ditransitives. Berlin and Boston: De Gruyter.
- Torre, Enrico. 2019. The journal WORD and the structural heritage of usage-based linguistics: Three functional tenets and an overarching principle. History and Philosophy of the Language Sciences. ISSN: 2366-2409. Read online
- Broccias, Cristiano, and Torre, Enrico. 2018. From the VVingPP construction to the VVing pattern: A descriptive account. Lingue e Linguaggi 26: 81-99. draft
- Torre, Enrico. 2017. Concerning the radial network view of argument structure: The case of the English caused-motion pattern. Language Sciences 66: 199-211. DOI: 10.1016/j.langsci.2017.10.002. draft
- Torre, Enrico. 2015. Language as an emergent construction network: A close-up on Italian idioms. Ecological Psychology 27 (3): 202-221. DOI: 10.1080/10407413.2015.1068651. ISSN: 1040-7413 print / 1532-6969 online. draft
- Torre, Enrico. 2014. Digital inscriptions as material anchors for future action: Multi-scalar integration and dynamic systems. Cybernetics and Human Knowing 21 (1-2): 128-142. ISSN: 0907-9877. draft
- Torre, Enrico. 2012. Symmetry and asymmetry in Italian caused-motion constructions. An Embodied Construction Grammar approach. Constructions 1/2012. Online: http://elanguage.net/journals/constructions/article/view/3438/3430. ISSN: 1860-2010. draft
- Torre, Enrico. 2009. Uno studio del word order nelle Harley Lyrics. Quaderni di Palazzo Serra 17. Università degli Studi di Genova. Read online
- Torre, Enrico. (2020, expected). Review of Koch, Christian, and Reimann, Daniel (eds.). 2019. As variedades do português no ensino do português língua não materna. Tübingen: Narr Francke Attempto. LINGUIST List.
- Torre, Enrico. (submitted). Review of Kanetani, Masaru. 2018. Causation and reasoning constructions. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins. LINGUIST List.
- Torre, Enrico. 2019. Review of Wright, Laura (ed.). 2018. Southern English varieties then and now. Berlin and Boston: De Gruyter. LINGUIST List. Read online PDF
- Torre, Enrico. 2019. Review of Pahta, Päiti, Skaffari, Janne, and Wright, Laura (eds.). 2017. Multilingual practices in language history: English and beyond. Berlin and Boston: De Gruyter. LINGUIST List. Read online PDF
- Torre, Enrico. 2018. Review of Lasersohn, Peter. 2017. Subjectivity and perspective in truth-theoretic semantics. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press. LINGUIST List. Read online PDF
- Torre, Enrico. 2018. Review of Mattiello, Elisa. 2017. Analogy in word formation: A study of English neologisms and occasionalisms. Berlin and Boston: De Gruyter. LINGUIST List. Read online PDF
- Torre, Enrico. 2019. Alguns (potenciais) pontos cegos ontológicos e epistemológicos no quadro teórico da Gramática das Construções. Invited seminar. Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Portugal. October 14. Slides.
- Broccias, Cristiano, and Torre, Enrico. 2019. The material VVing construction: A corpus-based investigation. 8th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English. Otto Friedrich Universität Bamberg, Germany. September 26-28.
- Broccias, Cristiano, and Torre, Enrico. 2019. Extravagant Harry Potter adverbs in American English: Synchronic and diachronic considerations. 52th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea. Universität Leipzig, Germany. August 21-24.
- Torre, Enrico. 2019. Sifting through the pages of WORD: The International Linguistic Association as a promoter of academic pluralism. Colloque de la Société d’Histoire et d’Epistémologie des Sciences du Langage 2019. Université Paris-Diderot, France. January 24-26. Slides.
- Broccias, Cristiano, and Torre, Enrico. 2018. Revisiting the history of the English dative alternation: An attraction-based account. International Workshop on the Diachrony of Ditransitives. Università degli Studi del Piemonte Orientale, Italy. November 29-30. Slides
- Broccias, Cristiano, and Torre, Enrico. 2018. On the relationship between V and Ving in the English VVing pattern: A historical perspective. 9th International Conference on Historical Lexicology and Lexicography. Università degli Studi di Genova, Italy. June 20-22. Abstract Slides
- Torre, Enrico. 2015. Agent, environment, and lived temporality: A distributed-ecological perspective on the epistemological role of language. 5th Conference of the Scandinavian Association for Language and Cognition. Norges Teknisk-Naturvitenskapelige Universitet, Norway. August 19-21. Abstract Slides
- Torre, Enrico. 2014. A system of replicable constraints in the age of semiotic binge: On the complementarity of symbolic and dynamic aspects of language. 1st Conference of the International Association for Cognitive Semiotics. Lunds Universitet, Sweden. September 25-27. Abstract Slides
- Torre, Enrico. 2014. Storing the collective memory of a community: Theoretical reflections on the normative dimension of physical symbols. 2nd International Conference on Interactivity, Language, and Cognition. Jyväskylä Yliopisto, Finland. September 11-12. Abstract Slides
- Torre, Enrico. 2014. Linguistic metastabilities: A case-study on Italian idioms. 5th UK Cognitive Linguistics Conference. Lancaster University, UK. July 29-31. Abstract Slides
- Torre, Enrico. 2014. Stability, variation, and causal circularity: Disclosing dynamic patterns in Italian idiomatic constructions. Finding Common Ground: Social, Ecological, and Cognitive Perspectives on Language Use. University of Connecticut, USA. June 12-14. Abstract Slides
- Torre, Enrico. 2013. A dynamic systems approach to language embeddedness: Insights from a cognitive-linguistic exploration of idiomatic constructions. 1st International Conference on the Cognitive Futures in the Humanities. Bangor University, UK. April 4-6. Abstract Slides
- Torre, Enrico. 2013. Different time-scales, common mechanisms: Toward an eco-cognitive account of language dynamics. 5th Distributed Thinking Symposium. Goldsmith University of London, UK. January 30-31. Abstract Slides
- Torre, Enrico. 2017. Concerning the notion of constructional polysemy. 23rd AMLaP Conference, Architectures and Mechanisms of Language Processing. Lancaster University, UK. September 7-9. Abstract Poster
- Torre, Enrico. 2013. Linguistic meaning as a flexible, multi-faceted space: Constraining the uniqueness of communicative events. iCog Inaugural Conference ‘Interdisciplinarity in Cognitive Science’. University of Sheffield, UK. November 29-December 1. Abstract Poster
- Torre, Enrico. 2013. Observing idiom-variation through dynamic ecological lenses: Linguistic phenomena as shaped by the organism-environment interaction. 17th International Conference on Perception and Action. Universidade Técnica de Lisboa, Portugal. July, 8-11. Abstract Poster
- 2015-2016. Research assistant at Lancaster University (UK), Department of Linguistics and English Language. Research project: Metaphor in end-of-life care. Principal Investigators: Professor Elena Semino (Lancaster University), Dr. Zsófia Demjén (then Open University, currently University College London).
- 2011-2012. Research assistant at Lancaster University (UK), Department of History. Research project: Spatial Humanities: Texts, GIS, and Places. Principal Investigators: Professor Ian Gregory (Lancaster University), Dr. David Cooper (Manchester Metropolitan University).
- 2011-2012. Research assistant at Lancaster University (UK), Department of Linguistics and English Language. Research project: Pain: Speaking the Threshold. Principal Investigators: Professor Elena Semino (Lancaster University), Professor Joanna Zakrzewska (University College London).
- 2016-2017. Course Convener. Postgraduate module: LING490 – English Grammar: A Cognitive Approach. Lancaster University, UK.
- 2013-2014. Teaching assistant. Second-year undergraduate module: LING203 – English Sounds and Structure. Lancaster University, UK.
Service to the profession
- Psychology of Language and Communication (4 papers: 2015 [x2], 2017, 2019).
- Globe (1 paper: 2016).
- Interaction Studies (1 paper: 2015).
- Papers from the 8th Lancaster University Postgraduate Conference in Linguistics and Language Teaching (1 paper: 2014).
Other services to the profession
- 2017-present. Invited member of the referee pool of the journal Translation, Cognition & Behavior (John Benjamins).
- 2014. Conference helper, 5th UK Cognitive Linguistics Conference. Lancaster, UK. July 29-31.
- 2013. Abstract reviewer, 8th Lancaster University Postgraduate Conference in Linguistics and Language Teaching.
- 2012. Conference helper, 9th Researching and Applying Metaphor Conference. Lancaster, UK. July 4-7.
- 2012. Abstract reviewer, 7th Lancaster University Postgraduate Conference in Linguistics and Language Teaching.